Sunday, August 13, 2017

Mexico 1 to Wendlandt: Lose Yourself in View and Brew

      Many people have headed down Mexico 1 over the years but until fairly recently they haven't had the pleasure of stopping along the way at a craft brewery. I recently finished my review of Cerveceria Transpeninsular and will head on down the road slightly farther north along the coast highway to visit Wendlandt and Aquamala breweries.


      Wendlandt will be easy for most travelers to find because its marked with a clear green sign just prior to entering Ensenada as if it were some sort of historical landmark. With the tough time I was having finding these breweries, and even with my Mexican companion, I almost could not believe a brewery could be marked so clearly, so of course I drove right by it. The host at Transpenisular graciously provided me a Baja brewery map, straitened me out and put me on course to Wendlandt where we settled in for our next flight of brews. 
Compared to the other breweries in Mexico, Wendandt was rustic and reminded my more of the breweries in the OC where one sits and drinks  while watching beer being made completely surrounded by cylinders. After drinking the flight, I got the impression that the IPA's were not the big deal in Mexico but the pale ales and the porters were where I should be focused. If your traveling to Mexico in the warm summer sun; it makes sense to look for enjoyable refreshing tastes to get into the spirit and I think that where the strengths of Mexican beer lie for the most part. At Wendstandt, I started with the lighter, more citrus and fruity tastes but saved the my favs, the IPA and Stout's for last. But I realized I was taking the lighter brews for granted and my companion recommended I save the less hoppy beers for last so that I could savor them more.I drank the lighter hopped brews and after my second tastes, I began to appreciate their mild, consistent hints of fruitiness from start to finish and I became more opened minded towards them during the trip. Gracias, Mexico.

      
      While I was enjoying the beer, I looked out from the patio, accessed by stairs, above the brewery that presented m with one of the most beautiful ocean views I had ever seen. This from a guy who grew up in the So Cal and lived in Hawaii for eight years. We could not be much closer to the beach with out actually being on the sand. I though to myself if I lived in Ensenada, I would come here every day after work to be refreshed in thirst and spirit.The Zomer Saison, the Vaquita Marina Pale ale with their light fruit and citrus hints of flavor did it for me. With the Vera Nega Mexican ale I thought I was closed to finding my quissesential Mexican beer and it was close, but I was still on the search the craft brew piece of Mexico that I can bring back with and deposit it my memory. I didn't want to leave my vista but onward we go, slightly south, not quite into Ensenada, to Aquamala (Jellyfish) Brewery

Stay tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment

Norte Brewing Company: Brewery in the Sky

After spending time visiting the breweries of Ensenada and visiting the Plaza Fiesta in Tijuana containing numerous breweries in one locatio...