Saturday, June 24, 2017

Interview with Sam: the Common Man Beer Drinker

         As I continue my search for amazing beers, I enjoy talking to people about their experiences with craft breweries and their favorite brews. The following interview is with a friend of mine, Sam, who has a unique story to tell.

BO: Your not exactly the kind of person I would think would be a beer aficionado but you've been to quite a few different breweries. Being a Palestinian, from Kuwait, and coming from a culture of non-beer drinkers, what was your first experience with drinking beer?

Sam: I've always been open minded. I went to a university on the East Coast. Everybody was drinking beer there and I was curious like any other college student. Of course, back then people were drinking standards, Bud, Miller, etc. There were no craft breweries back then.I didn't like beer the first time I tried it.

BO: So later, you must have got used to it. When did you find out about craft breweries?

Sam: Back on the East Coast, and this was a number of years ago, I knew of craft beers that were sold in various bars and establishments but I don't recall seeing any craft breweries anywhere back there.

BO: So where did you experience your first craft brewery and how often do you go?

Sam: In California. Noble Ale Works in Anaheim was the first craft brewery I'd ever been to. Now, I typically go to the craft brewery at least twice a week.

BO: Have you been to other breweries in the local area?

Sam:  I've been to Bootleggers, Phantom Ales, The Bruery, Bruery Terreux, Golden Road and Bottle Logic.

BO: Do you have a favorite brewery?

Sam: Bottle Logic and Noble are my favorites. No weak beers that I can find on the menu. Bruery Terreuz focuses on Sours. They're creative but that's not my style.

BO: So tell me, what beers are your favorites?

Sam: I mostly stick to the IPA because I like a hoppy beer but, occasionally I go for a change a pace, maybe a stout or a softer ale. At Noble Ale, Big Whig is my favorite, an IPA with a citrus start and strong from start to finish. I like the Double Actuator at Bottle Logic Brewery and Hoppy Alis at Karl Straus.


BO: Why not just go to a Sports bar, Taphouse? Why do you hang out at the craft brewery?

Sam: I prefer the brewery because its casual> I can get up, walk around and talk to people. Nobody is checking on me or trying to move me from a booth. I can stand, sit, be informal and enjoy a beer in freedom. I've met so many people here because its easy to do so the way its set up; it's friendly.

BO: What else is different about the craft brewery?

Sam: Each brewery injects their own personality into the place. The atmosphere, the beer names, the props that some brewery's have that make them so unique. I like the creativity that each place has to offer.Every night there's a different food truck and the food trucks are creative too so it naturally supports the creative vibe of the brewery.

BO: Do you thin craft breweries will always be popular?

Sam: I think so just like I believe wine tasting is popular and art is popular.

BO: Last Question: Are craft breweries like rock bands? Some people accuse rock bands of selling out and commercializing: Does this apply to craft breweries? I mean you can get some craft brews in the supermarket.

Sam: I don't think so. Many of my favorite beers disappear. I always have to find my new favorite beer and discover my new favorite craft brewery. We're not talking about Bud and Miller here.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Norte Brewing Company: Brewery in the Sky

After spending time visiting the breweries of Ensenada and visiting the Plaza Fiesta in Tijuana containing numerous breweries in one locatio...